Saturday, February 17, 2007

In Search Of....

In the words of the immortal 80's supergroup Survivor, "The search is over."

You have read in this space and other superior blogs about the flyers for parties, or "jump offs," we teachers at my high school are continually finding about our classrooms when students leave them behind along with the day's classwork. Mostly, you've read about the progenitor of these parties, our school's answer to P. Diddy, a chap named Omar. Perhaps you joined me in my admiration for Omar and his organizational skills and his disdain for drama and beefs of all kinds. Around the time Rodney King said, "Can't we all get along," I'm convinced Omar was born into this world and found his calling. Here is a true uniter in a sea of dividers.

So I was standing outside my door the other day with a couple students and I heard one say, "Hey, Omar," as a group of kids walked by on the other side of the hall. "Is that THE Omar," I asked, "from the party flyers?"

A pause. Both the students standing nearby looked at me. "You know about the parties?"

"Of course. I find them along with your soda cans and candy wrappers on the floor under your desks when you leave."

I looked quickly down the hall to size up this local legend. He's a smallish kid, looked like a junior or sophomore, wearing the typical student getup...black nylon bomber jacket, baggy jeans, white t-shirt. He spoke with a squeaky, dare I say effeminate, voice. In short, he looked like any other kid you see in the hall between classes.

My illusion was crushed. Megan and I have talked about this and we both had Omar pegged as a twentysomething kid who went to our school at some point, but just can't let go, devoting himself to throwing parties.

We couldn't have been more wrong. Turns out he's just a kid...albeit a kid with unlimited cell phone minutes. Also, I'm told there's always some sort of drama going on at the allegedly drama-free parties. Who's surprised about that at any gathering of high-schoolers.

Here's a summary for all you visual learners out there:

What was I expecting?

















What did I find?










Do you blame me?

Trying to live with the disappointment,

Your Humble Author

Posted by Unclejbird @ 7:34 PM

Read or Post a Comment

I like that you referred to Omar as a "chap."

Also, I'm starting to think the drama and beef associated with Omar's parties (and ALL those parties) might be gang-related beef. Suddenly it's not so funny anymore.

Posted by Blogger Megan @ 7:33 PM #
 
<< Home