Sunday, November 12, 2006

Training Day

It's raining and windy as hell here and I'm feeling pretty cheeky about having run my 6 miles yesterday, when it was sunny and about 80 degrees. Best decision I've made in a long while.

This is to point out that the Mayor and I will shortly begin training for the Shamrock Marathon in March (Training sked is here). This'll be the longest race I've run; I ran the Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon in September 2005 and didn't care for that much, mostly because of the 20,000 people around me. I ran the Shamrock 10K last year and, though it was colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra out there on the V.B. Boardwalk, it was less crowded and I appreciated not knocking elbows with someone every couple of feet. Plus, running/training is much more enjoyable here in the fall/winter when one does not have the feeling that the heat is trying to kill him.

Now, that's not to say I'm not without apprehension about the race. The Half was not easy for me and I had to walk a good portion of the way. Not sure if that was because I didn't train enough in the runup to the event or train correctly (more runs at longer distances). Whatever the cost, I'm feeling stronger now because I have another full year of training under my belt and that's got to make me a better runner. Here's hoping.....

Labels:

Posted by Unclejbird @ 2:48 PM