Sunday, July 23, 2006

Blackhawks Down...

Kudos to the governor of Pennsylvania Avenue for cluing me in on the term "blackhawk" in reference to mothers, especially of the sports variety, who hover over their childrens' every move. Today saw an aerial assault of Somalian proportions as the young creative writers finally descended on our mountainous location.

The kids hadn't even unpacked when the drama began. One mom made a point of seeking me out after a general introductory meeting just to introduce herself and make sure I knew who her son was. Another mother tried unsuccessfully to switch roommates when the camp administrator had purposefully tried to separate the woman's daughter from her best friend because the two live 5 miles apart. Ironically, another mother bustled into her daughter's room and started rearranging her roommate's things to accommodate the daughter (who had registered as a resident camper, withdrew, then signed up again as a resident) while the kids were down the hall doing some sort of team-building activity. Awkward moment when the roommate walked in on them. On the flip side, kudos to the parents of one girl who sent their daughter ALONE on an airplane from Seattle to our secure, undisclosed location. They'll never fit in if they try to one day join the blackhawk fleet.

Funny moment this morning when a group of Japanese ESL (English as a second language) campers living elsewhere in my dorm nearly fell at my feet when I got up from this computer, allowing them to resume their role-playing computer game. Damned if I say for sure what this game is except to say that when they play it, they're hootin' and hollerin' to beat the band. Dem jenks must be sweet, yo.

Anyway, the little video crackheads practically tripped over themselves to get into position as I left the room and, in perfect English, I heard one of them say, "Mister, I love you."

Posted by Unclejbird @ 8:05 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Regading summer camps, I read the other day about the massive amount of time/human effort that goes into making sure all the kids get there requisite meds...morning, noon and night (there was nothing about the medication of the staff). Let me know if the line is too long. I have a friend whose spouse works for one of the big drug companies and we could do some expediting.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 9:17 PM #
 
<< Home